IR reforms bill introduced to the House of Representatives
On Monday, 4 September 2023, the Fair Work Legislation Amendment (Closing Loopholes) Bill 2003 (“Bill”) was introduced into the House of Representatives.
The Bill is the Federal Government’s intended third tranche of industrial relations (‘IR’) reforms in a 12-month period.
The Bill seeks to make the following amendments, which include but are not limited to:
- Casual employment - addressing the current definition in the Fair Work Act 2009:
- Replacing the definition of casual employment;
- Introducing an additional casual conversion mechanism every 6 months;
- Providing that employers who continue to engage casuals when they meet the new casual employment definition will be viewed as misclassifying the employee – which could give rise to civil penalties.
- Labour hire reforms
- Criminalisation of wage theft.
- Right of entry changes that will work with wage theft provisions; and
- Employee-like employment reforms. Which will provide the Fair Work Commission (‘FWC’) with the ability to set minimum conditions for gig workers.
Submission to the Senate
On Thursday, 7 September, the Bill was referred to the Senate’s Education and Employment Legislation Committee (‘Committee’) for review and reporting.
The Committee has the role of reviewing the Bill, the impact and cost, and to seek and consider submissions from interested parties.
The Education and Employment Legislation Committee is due to report on the Bill on 1 February 2024.
Business Chamber Queensland's IR team has considered the Bill, in particular the main aspects that will impact Queensland business, and lodged a submission to the Committee on 13 October.
The Submission can be viewed HERE.
How can we help?
As a Business Chamber Queensland member with HR services as part of your membership, you can contact the Workplace Advisory Services team to seek information and assistance on the Bill, what it means and what to do about it.
We can help you to understand the Bill as well as assist with any other employment, IR and HR questions.
Meet the Workplace Advisory Services team HERE.
To find out more about our Workplace Services, visit HERE.
Join Business Chamber Queensland
Need Access to Unlimited HR Expertise & Advice? When you take out an Essentials or an Evolve membership, you get unlimited access to our HR Support Helpline and advice from the experts in our Workplace Advisory Services Team. Your membership also entitles you to a wide range of other business benefits.